Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Goodness new good news

In an effort to be a more conscious person of my surroundings, to make use of myself as a human being, to be a responsible consumer (and disposer), to participate in a greater community outside of my own judgments and values, and to actively give a shit, I've joined a few wonderful co-ops, collectives, and volunteer groups. (Pedal Coop, Handmade Philly, Food Not Bombs).

I'm excited to begin working with all three organizations. I think I have been struggling with an internal dilemma with my work since the end of school. So much of the work I've made has been a challenge in technical facility. Learning new processes, and overcoming skill-based boundaries has thus far driven my work, but I can only have the "process conversation" for so long until the work becomes pallid and predictable. The fascinating "how" of the work has been established for me. It seems as though the hard part to address is the "what" and "why." Does one call that concept? Does one call that an oeuvre? How often do we honestly confront our cares and interests?
Perhaps it's easier than all of that, and perhaps I simply think about it too much. Perhaps it's all entirely subjective, and perhaps it's simple to decide what one likes. But perhaps it isn't too much to ask myself to be honest and address the bringing of another object into the world-- it should at least be done well and thoughtfully. I feel that my work thus far is missing something. I think it's missing this dimension that transcends process (perhaps something to bring a conversation to craft, rather than a monologue on skill). 
Through my promise to dedicate my time to these organizations, I am bringing an Active sensibility into my routine, addressing what I know I care about in a way that is communal and more significant than myself. I don't have to run in circles with some kind of naive idealism; I can sublimate this anxious energy into something good instead of ignoring it. In the end, I'm doing it for me. I'm willing to admit that. But I think we're all in it for ourselves, it's what we do. But if I'm going to do something for myself, I can at least make sure it's the distribution of something good that benefits others.
Check back soon, hopefully I'll have made work that addresses the "why" of what I make. Maybe something will come of all of this.

No comments: