Thursday, October 14, 2010

Learning to be resourceful can have delicious outcomes

Here's a new recipe for you all. Accompanied by an update. (or an update accompanied by a recipe, however you prefer to look at it).

It's been about a month since the move to Philadelphia now, and production is indeed slow. This has been my first day off since last Thursday, and I've decided to utilize my free time creating my new website. Computer work can feel like a wasted day, so I took the opportunity to bake some bread and simmer some soup while I sat on my ass staring at my computer all afternoon. And look at the things I have to show for it now! A legitimate website (not that blogger isn't legit, it's just nice to have a succinct domain name), a new soup recipe, artisan bread for the week, and a full belly! Hey hey, good day.

Of course, I lacked the ingredients I needed to make the usual cream of carrot soup, so I improvised:

Coconut Carrot soup with Sweet Potatoes and Ginger (whoa!)

1 lb carrots (chopped)
1 med sweet potato
4 cups homemade vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 inch length fresh ginger (grated)
handful of kale (chopped)

1 T olive oil
sea/kosher salt
pepper
the tiniest pinch of curry powder
fresh basil

Heat olive oil in stock pot on medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sautee for about 30 seconds (let them release aroma, but don't burn). Add carrots and sweet potatoes and sautee for about 4 minutes. Add a dash of sea salt, let cook for about 1 minute. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer for about an hour (until everything is soft). Add more salt to taste, and black pepper. Simmer 10 minutes. Transfer solids to a food processor* and puree. Return to pot and stir with the rest of the soup. Add coconut milk and kale and simmer again for about 12 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fresh basil.

* I don't have a food processor (anymore) so I just mashed the veggies as best as I could. I would have preferred to turn everything (except the kale) into a nice cream. It looks prettier.

I'd do this again. Perhaps over some brown rice. Perhaps with a food processor.


No comments: